Proper Kefir Ice Cream
This has gone down a treat – a cross between an ice-cream and frozen yoghurt. Use with any of the left-over fruits you might have from making kombucha or water kefir or fruit syrups. The dried skimmed milk is not essential, but it does increase the protein content to improve the final texture.
- 125 g strained kefir.
- 500 ml milk
- 50g skimmed milk powder (optional)
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks.
- Vanilla pod
- Whisk the eggs and caster sugar together in a bowl until pale
- Bring the milk, milk powder if using, and vanilla pod just to the boil.
- Pour over the eggs and sugar, whisking all the while.
- Return to the pan and cook over a low/medium heat, stirring all the while until the mixture coats the back of the (wooden is best) spoon. Don’t let it boil or it will become grainy.
- Leave custard to cool.
- Add in the kefir cheese and any other flavourings, and mix well.
- Put in the ice-cream maker.