Perfect for “kefir breakfast” this gut-healthy granola with 12 different plant based ingredients is great on the diversity front. The orange peel makes it taste really special. When I say cup in the recipe below, it’s basically a ratio, so use whatever cup size you like. A ½ cup measure (120 ml) makes a liter jar of granola.
- 3 x cups whole rolled oats
- 1 x cup of nuts (e.g 1/3 almonds, 1/3 pistachios, 1/3 pecans)
- 1 x cup of seeds (e.g. 1/3 sesame, 1/3 pumpkin, 1/3 sunflower)
- 0.5 cup maple syrup or honey
- 0.5 cup rapeseed or extra virgin olive oil ( you can’t taste it, but go easy if you’re not sure about the EVOO
- teaspoon of cinnamon
- a couple of drops of Vanilla essence ( optional)
- 1 x cup dried fruit ( e.g. 1/3 raisins, 1/3 cranberries,1/3 candied orange peel)
- Heat the oven to 150°C fan
- In a bowl mix the oats, nuts and seeds, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Add the oil and maple syrup and stir well.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 15 mins.
- Stir and bake for another 5 mins, until golden and crispy. Don’t worry if it’s slighty wet looking it does dry.
- Stir in the dried fruit.
- When cooled put in jar.